Category Archives: Minutes

General Meeting Minutes – 2020-03-11

General Meeting Minutes – 2020-03-11
ABBOTSFORD FLYING CLUB
GENERAL MEETING

Members please remember to sign in

Guests

  • Jim Young, IAEpress
  • Brian (Prospective member)
  • Bruce (Wayne Cave’s partner in EFF)
  • Devin Campbell (applying for re-admittance)

Presentations

  • Gerry Visser to introduce Jim Young who now owns Island Express and is looking for possible investors.
  • Luciano Nisi on PFD’s
  • Steve Kobayashi about the Nav Canada Airspace modernisation project

Call to Order – 21:10 (after presentation)

Motion to approve meeting minutes from February General Meeting

  • 1: Lise.  2: Tom Grozier.   MSC

Announcements

  • Special events and Social (Murray and Chris Palmer)
    • Pool tournament: The grand finale will take place on March 13
      Should be epic: The battle of the titans.
      Ron Becker and Paul Monchamp vs. Richard Bauch and Bevan Tomm. These guys all take their billiards quite seriously
      And are taking full advantage of the new cloth on the table .
    • Larry Runnals: The Geocaching conference a couple weeks after airshow (GeoWoodstock). The AFC will host a campground on the airport for their campers for the TRADEX event and the AFC will host a Broken Prop on the Saturday. More info to come and we will need some help!
  • Good and Welfare (Adrian Renkers)
    • Ken Campbell had back surgery: Feels better!
    • Captain Lee Fenner
      March 09, 1942 – January 24, 2020

      • Celebration of life tentatively on 2 May more info coming
    • George Elder: 78th birthday
    • Barbara will be 71
    • Donn Richardson will be 88 tomorrow
    • Keith Sim is on the mend
  • New Members introduced:
    • Olivia Kunze
    • Rani Tolton
    • Cole Forman
    • Taylor Belich
    • Mike Hutchinson

Board Updates 

President – George Aung-Thin

  • George presented a powerpoint presentation giving the monthly metrics of the club. Powerpoint presentation can be viewed here.
  • George also talked about new aircraft booking policy. The document can be viewed here.
      • Key discussion surrounds SBS and the issues surrounding the additional investment required to repair the aircraft up to the standards the board deems acceptable which is inline with the recommendation by Bakerview Aviation and the current standards of maintenance equivalent to the other two certified aircraft in the AFC fleet. The crux of this issue is the cracks found in the airframe tubing (and the possibility of more cracks that are currently undiscovered).
      • George discussed the options the board is considering and possibility of selling the aircraft to a member (who self identified as Kevin Lacroix) and this will be considered by the board, and the membership as a whole will be canvassed for other members who might be interested in taking SBS on as a personal project.

Additional board reports captured for minutes only due to time constraints.


 

Vice President – Dirk Sieber

  • Possibly the month after Bob Leroux may talk about ADSB and EAPIS when heading to the USA

Treasurer – Kevin Mickelby

  • Kevin notes that there are no material financial issues to bring to the members attention at this time

Secretary – Aug Rinz

  • Reminder that Absent Excused can also be sent to attendance@abbotsfordflyingclub.ca email.

Flight Safety – Luciano Nisi

  1. 1) No outstanding flight safety investigations or occurrences
  2. 2) Flight safety meeting on Mar 3 attended by 4 members – If you are interested check the web site for meeting dates and come out and participate.
  3. 3) 10 min safety briefs to be presented at every GM – If you are interested in being a presenter send flight safety chair an email at flightsafety@abbotsfordflyingclub.ca
  4. 4) Hangar talks to begin on Sat mornings TBA –  Everyone is welcome to present and participate in topics and discussions.
  5. 5) More training videos to be made

Membership – Amar Sundher

  • New Members introduced:
    • Olivia Kunze
    • Rani Tolton
    • Cole Forman
    • Taylor Belich
    • Mike Hutchinson

Aircraft Maintenance – Brian Appaswamy

  • GMA – No issues
  • IUK – IUK heading for an oil change in about 5 or so hours and is booked for the avionics work in April. Keep an eye on the booking sheets
  • SBS – Offline for the foreseeable future due to a multitude of issues that President George spoke to

Building Maintenance

  • Nothing this month.

Old Business

  • None

New Business

  • Motion by Gerry Crapo to rescind the $50 booking fee as discussed by George. 1. Gerry C 2. Adrian R Motion Failed

Motion to Adjourn – 22:15 by Bob Roberston

Extraordinary Board Meeting (by Phone) 2020-03-23

Abbotsford Flying Club
Extraordinary Board Meeting
Via phone
2020-03-23

Present: Aug Rinz, George Aung-Thin, Kevin Mickelby;  Tom Grozier,  Dirk Sieber, Luciano Nisi, Amarvir Sunder

Absent: Brian Appaswamy,

Meeting called to order 19:05 by George

Agenda

  1. Sale of the Glastar Aircraft C-GSBS to a Member of the Abbotsford Flying Club
  2. Closure of clubhouse and aircraft to all activities
  3. In camera discussion

Discussion:

1. Sale of the Glastar Aircraft C-GSBS to a Member of the Abbotsford Flying Club
Motion:
Whereas the Board has received an offer from a member to purchase the Glastar
aircraft C-GSBS and the Board has unanimously agreed that the sale of the aircraft
to the member at the offered price in the aircraft’s present condition “as is where
is” is in the best interests of the Abbotsford Flying Club.
Be it resolved that:
The Glastar aircraft C-GSBS be sold to the member at the offered price, that Tom
Grozier on behalf of the Board is hereby authorized to instruct legal counsel to
prepare any and all documents and other matters that are determined by him to be
necessary and pertaining to the sale, and Tom Grozier is authorized to sign on
behalf of the Board any and all documents and forms necessary to perfect the sale
of the aircraft to the member.
M/S/C

Tom’s motion, seconded by Amar to sell GSBS to Kevin L. Carried unanimously.

2. Closure of clubhouse and aircraft to all activities

Discussion:

Based on the best advice from the Prime Minister, Health Authorities and good judgment, we all should stay home and self isolate. This has been in the news for days. Nobody NEEDS to be at the club, nor do they NEED to fly. The COVID-19 pandemic is getting worse by the day and urgent action is needed at all levels.

The board is mindful of the significant impact of this to all of our members. The board cannot ignore the implorement of authorities to self isolate.  The Board also recognises that there are many members in our club who are at highest risk of infection. These are indeed extroadinary times.

Luciano, as a first responder, really sees how there are some people in the Lower Mainland who just are not taking any of this as seriously as they should. Many people are not abiding by the public health orders and the board feels this is the prudent way to proceed to protect our members during this COVID-19 pandemic.

Action: Motion by Luciano second by Tom G to cancel all clubhouse bookings not already cancelled, lockdown the clubhouse and remove the keys for aircraft to all members for an indefinite period of time until such time as the health authorities deem appropriate. Motion Carried unanimously.

1) An external hasp be installed on the main door to the clubhouse with a padlock. (Access to the club will only be for the purposes to do a security check or if there is some sort of emergency (water leak etc) there can be no other access or reason to access the club). Posting a sign will not stop people from entering.

2) A notice be attached to the front door advising members the club is in lock down.

3) An email be sent out to all members regarding the lockdown.

All bookings will be terminated on club aircraft until end of August for now

4) Separate padlocks be installed on all hangars, for anyone who may have a key. (Only access should be if an aircraft is being moved for maintenence to Bakerview or to removed SBS from the hangar post sale)

5) The club is locked down indefinitely and not opened until the health authorities have authorized people to again have any social contact;  this may go on longer so we should expect that it could be as long as 6 months.

George will draft a letter to send to the membership to convey this decision.

3. In camera discussion.

Motion to go in camera 1. Tom 2 Amar MSC

Motion to come out of camera 1 George 2 Kevin MSC

Motion for the President to send subject member a Letter of Reprimand dated
April 8, 2020 in the event that before April 8, 2020 the member fails to
provide the Board with an explanation in writing of his act of misconduct
that is satisfactory to the Board.. 1 Tom 2. Amar. MSC

Adjourn: 19:55

 

 

Board Meeting (Extraordinary) Minutes – 2020-03-21

Abbotsford Flying Club
Extraordinary Board Meeting
Via phone
2020-03-21

Present: Aug Rinz, George Aung-Thin, Amarvir Sunder, Kevin Mickelby;  Tom Grozier,  Dirk Sieber

Absent: Brian Appaswamy, Luciano Nisi,

Meeting called to order 19:05 by George

Agenda

  1. AFC Member authorized a RV Guest to stay on property adjacent to the clubhouse.
  2. AFC Member has made decisions on behalf of the Abbotsford Flying Club independent of the Board.

Discussion:

  1. AFC Member authorized a RV Guest to stay on property adjacent to the clubhouse.

The name of the RV Guest is Darryl Schimpf. According to one of our members, Mr. Schimpf has been snow birding in Arizona but had to return early because all Canadians have had their travel insurance cancelled effective March 22. Mr. Schimpf advises that he is not ill, but like all recently repatriated Canadians, he has been instructed to isolate himself for a period. Mr. Schimpf advises that he has been authorized by another member to park his RV beside the clubhouse. Mr. Schimpf advises that he won’t be going into the clubhouse nor using our facilities except for an electrical plug-in for his CPAP respirator. The Board has been advised that Mr. Schimpf is a former member of the RCMP and has previously been involved with the Kamloops Airshow.

The President advises the Board that he found out about these matters through texts from a member sent to him from the Secretary.

Discussion and Action:

The Board agrees to let Mr. Schimpf stay adjacent to the clubhouse and to use the clubhouse electrical plug-in for a week and Amarvir will phone around to assist Darryl to find alternate accommodation.

2. Member making decisions independent of the Board on behalf of the club

RV Guest was approved to stay at the club by a member without consulting the board first

Discussion

Member had no authority to make decisions such as this without Board consent as this is inappropriate behaviour. This is clearly a board decision.

Action: The board will discuss this issue at a further board meeting on Monday Evening 23 March

Adjourn: 19:31